Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The Real Problem with Halloween

It's a day given to dressing up in odd costumes and going door to door to ask for candy while threatening a trick. People have lined up on both sides of the aisle on this issue. Is it a pagan observation with demonic underpinnings, or is it just harmless fun for the family?

I won't get into the demons, ghost, and bloody carnage whether real or imagined. The real problem as I see it is, WHAT DO YOU DO WITH ALL THAT LEFTOVER CANDY?! There it sits in that bowl just whispering for you to indulge. And let's face it, you bought all of this candy for kids who were coming to your door, but did you really? Last year only a couple of dozen kids rang your bell. And this year you bought a dozen bags of your favorite candy.

It is the ultimate treason. Self-betrayal. It is the beginning of the feeding binge called "the holidays." It starts with candy, builds steam leading up to Thanksgiving and we all know that baked goods have become the "gift du jour" of the Christmas season. It is what will ultimately cost you hundreds of dollars at the beginning of the new year for a membership at the health club.

You can pontificate all you want about the ins and outs of Halloween. But I've pulled the mask off of this insidious enemy. Halloween is evil because it starts the fat cycle. And once the fat cycle begins it never really ends. It spirals out of control until you give in and start justifying that allowing kids to trick or treat is not a Christian issue at all.

3 Comments:

  • My family and I have decided to go out and eat on Halloween because I loathe passing out candy as the doorbell drives me insane. I guess its our way of kicking off the holidays not with the binge of indulging in excessive amounts of candy, but with excessive amounts of BBQ ribs.............YUM!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:43 PM  

  • I went out to eat with my wonderful parents and had a wonderful cuban sandwich. I suppose I wanted to start my "fat season" with something more substantial than mini milky way bars.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:27 PM  

  • What a delightful commentary on Halloween! It would have been stereotypical for you to preach the evils of the day, and actually, that's what I expected to read. My children are grown, so I don't struggle with the day as I used to. The majority of the kids at my door were dressed in adorable costumes, and their only motive was to take some of my favorite candy off my hands. For that I am grateful. I put one Reese's cup in the freezer as a reward on New Year's Day if I can resist the constant temptation of gluttony that will assail me for the next 2 months.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home