Monday, January 01, 2007

New Years Goals/Resolutions

I'm not very good at keeping resolutions, however I am better at setting and attaining goals. A resolution too often turns out to be a wish that doesn't or can't come true. A goal can be more easily reached by identifying the steps necessary to reach the goal. As a result I am not making any resolutions this year, instead I am going to set some goals.
  • Goal #1- I will lose 20 pounds this year. I have several incentives. My daughter is getting married and I want to look good for her. And I have a really nice suit hanging in the back of my closet that I want to wear again. Aside from that, I'll probably be healthier and my doctor will be pleased.
  • Goal #2- I will finally completely organize my garage. Even if it means taking vacation time to do. Most of the stuff my kids had stored there is gone and the rest is pretty manageable.
  • Goal #3- I will exercise 3-4 times a week starting today. This should help me in the weight loss, but should also give me increased stamina and more energy.
  • Goal #4- I will commit myself to the spiritual disciplines of prayer, bible reading and worship. The difference will be personal spiritual growth rather than just professional growth.
How about you? Do you have any goals you'd like to pursue in 2007?

5 Comments:

  • Hey! And here I was thinking I am supposed to be losing weight for my wedding:) You have always been far more disciplined than anyone I know, so I am sure you can handle your New Year's goals. I think my goal for the year should be to finish school and never go back! Then my goals for 2008, 2009, 2010, etc., will be to pay off the schooling. Haha!

    Natalie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:12 PM  

  • Hi Pastor Rivera and Nat:

    I agree with Nat when she says that you are far more disciplined than anyone.

    Remember that year when we were in Revival at Cross and Crown and you decided to work out with Pastor Mayo at the YMCA that year? You lost ALOT of weight, and you did that while traveling all the way from Lake in the Hills.

    Congratulations on your wedding Nat! Good luck in finishing School Nat. This is graduate school right? I remember leaving North Park in 2002, and I know you had to finish faster than me.

    One more thing Pastor, I know that the Christian Mind is one of your favorite books, and I just wanted you to know that I finally found the meaning behind the statement : “Is there any value in having nothing to say about many things.” I guess it took: LIFE or LIVING to truly understand. At the age of 18 I thought I had it down, but when I look back I did not even scratch the surface.

    Tell Daniel, Ben, and Grace I said hi.

    Carlos Alers

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:30 PM  

  • Hello Carlos, I think of you often. I don't normally respond through the blog, but since I don't have your email address this will have to do. I hope you visit the blog again and get this message.

    Blessings to you
    PJLR

    By Blogger jawbone, at 11:45 PM  

  • I agree with all that is said except this one question What year is your suit from???

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:42 PM  

  • It's that awesome plaid one Pastor always talks about.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home