Friday, April 06, 2007

Refreshing New Perspectives on Christianity and Culture

Every once in a while it is a good idea to leave my comfort zone and listen or observe a brother or sister in Christ who lives in a totally different environment than I do. This brother wears his faith on his sleeve. He is not afraid to engage the culture and the church with his understanding of what the issues are for Christians in America.

Engaging the culture in the name of Christ means standing up against injustice wherever it is found. This is not a political battle, it is a cultural and spiritual battle. The application of the gospel in every area of life is absolutely essential if we are to combat and be victorious over many of the sins that plague our society.

There is an old saying that "politics makes for strange bedfellows." I am convinced that to truly stand up for issues that should be important to Christians, there must be a willingness to embrace people who are vastly different from me.

As I look at my life, I see that I have been thrust into a fellowship of people who differ greatly from me economically, educationally, culturally, and even spiritually. The church is the great experiment in reconciliation. If people can get along in the church, they should be able to build bridges in any area of society.

Whether it is AIDS, or abortion, drugs, racism or poverty, Christians should unite to find answers. There may be much debate, some of it loud and messy, but in the long run our love for fellow Christians should be the ultimate witness to our culture. After all, Jesus did say, "they will know you are my disciples by your love for one another."

What do you think? What will it take for Christians to bridge the great divide on certain social issues? What experiences have you had fellowshipping and/or working alongside of a Christian that is greatly different from you?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • Wow, this article is really good. I'm glad I clicked the link and encourage anyone else reading this to do so as well.

    Natalie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:03 PM  

  • The article you linked to is nothing new--Sojourners (www.sojourners.com) has been talking like this for decades. It is an increasingly common and welcome perspective, IMHO.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home