Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Musicals, Cantatas and Commenting on Blogs

Blogging is a new experience for many people. It can be an excellent tool for discussion, but I have also been on blogs where discussion and debate deteriorate because commentors sometimes lose track of the issue being discussed. Links (highlighted words in a different color) are provided for readers to click on and get more context for the blog post. For instance, click here and you will be redirected to our Church website.

I received a number of responses to the issue on "Chreasters." (see below). I don't respond to everyone that leaves a comment unless they are a newcomer and leave their email address. I greet them off blog through email and welcome them to the forum. I let the discussion go unless it gets "unchristian" and since it is my blog, I have the right to intervene.

Here is a response I made by personal email to one poster who seemed to have disagreed with my post. The emphases are mine to draw attention to the central point of that particular post.

" . . . please read the blog post carefully to make sure you are addressing the central point of the post. In this case it is the link that has been provided as a spoof on Chreasters (people who only come to church on Christmas and Easter). Click on that part of the post and enjoy a good laugh at the satire. The other comments I have written are just general personal observations and certainly not a criticism of our church in particular.

I know that musicals can be anointed and a blessed event and can draw church members who work on these productions closer. The “criticism” is that sometimes churches substitute personal evangelism, which is by far the most productive, for program evangelism, which does bring results, but far lesser than personal evangelism. Again, we are not necessarily talking about Christian Hills as I am looking forward to the next time we will be in a position to do a musical.

Let me give you one similar example. I got saved through a Gideon’s Bible. Compared to personal evangelism, literature evangelism is nowhere near as productive. That doesn’t make it bad, it’s just an observation. I support Gideon’s ministry, musicals, altar calls, car shows, puppet and mime evangelism etc. All evangelism efforts have worth.

I look forward to your continued input on the blog. I have a ton of people who read it regularly but few post because they are afraid to see their words in print or to have someone else rebut their comments. This is a fun experience and part of the new wave of tools available to stimulate dialogue and get feedback from within and outside of the church."


Thanks for your comments. I hope you will visit and comment often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home