Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Christians and Comedy

I must confess. I love comedians. I love to laugh and a good comedian will have my stomach muscles aching. There are some comedic geniuses out there. You can probably name your own and from every generation. But lately I have found that you have to sort through a whole lot of junk to get the joke. Most mainline comedians are getting so vulgar that a God-fearing man like myself won't sit through a bunch of offensive language just to get a good laugh out of a joke or two.

Here is the good news. There is now a Christian Comedian organization. These are comedians who are committed to using their craft to give Christians a good time without having to compromise their values or yours.

The Bible says that a "merry heart makes good like medicine." Outside of sarcasm, or knock knock jokes, or cut-ups, Christians don't seem to get involved in sharing good jokes. Perhaps it is because the "good jokes" are racy. But I am convinced that humor can be clean and side-splitting.

Can you see a church event with a dinner, some music and instead of a sermon a comedian? That would be a wonderful way to enjoy a date without exposing yourself to questionable entertainment. What do you think?

2 Comments:

  • Very shortly after I became a Christian, I discovered Mark Lowry. I laughed harder at his skits that I had ever previously laughed at any worldly comedian. To this day I still use some of his material... like when the alarm goes off, I can still use 11 more hours of sleep... and how 'bout Miss Barth!
    That was one of the most shocking things about Christian Hills church. My very first service in a full gospel church (after 30 years of Catholic masses), the pastor cracked wise and the congregation laughed.... out loud... and wasn't ashamed. That was one of the reasons I never went back to my Catholic church.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:23 PM  

  • I am a comedian that is a memeber of the Christian Comedians Association. I peform clean comedy at churches and other venues. I can be reached at Tom@TomComedy.com.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home