Friday, January 05, 2007

Complexity of a Broken Soul

You would think that, after almost 30 years of ministry experience, I would have a clue as to what to do. But there is no blanket protocol or procedure for dealing with homeless people. Here’s what happened yesterday.

I was prepping for my Sunday sermon when my intercom buzzed and I was told there was a woman who wanted to speak to “a pastor.” I instinctively knew what that meant. Someone was going to ask for help. I stepped out into the hallway to invite her in and was greeted by a disheveled, homeless woman. Life had taken its toll on her. With unkempt hair, soiled clothing and an unpleasant odor, it was obvious to me that this was no easy fix. This was not a “normal” person who was going through a tough time and needed a boost over the hump. This was someone who had sown bad seed for a long time and a temporary fix wasn’t going to do much to change the situation.

She began to tell me her convoluted story. Much of it didn’t make sense and was full of discrepancies. I patiently let her speak. I asked a few questions to try to get some clarification. No such luck. The amount of money she was asking for was not much by the standard of living that I am used to, but her purposes for its use were suspect.

My heart ached as I wanted to help her in the most productive way. I saw in her the image of God, although it had been distorted by the consequences of sinful choices. I saw someone Jesus had died for, but I also knew that she hadn’t a clue as to how to appropriate his free gift of grace.

I tried to share with her the simple plan of salvation but her need was so overwhelming that I’m not sure how much was absorbed. I wasn’t satisfied to offer her platitudes like “God loves you. God knows your need. God will provide for you. etc. As true as these statements may be, the Bible is clear, that faith without works is dead.

Tell me how and what you would have done to handle this situation. After I hear from some of you, I’ll tell you what I did.

1 Comments:

  • The Saturday before Christmas a man approached me in the K-Mart parking lot asking first for a gas can, and then money. His story too was filled with discrepancies regarding his plight, children and work. I looked into my wallet and only had 2-$20 bills and a $10 bill, which was very rare for me first to have any cash and secondly to have that much. God has recently answered my financial prayers, hallelujah! I was reluctant to give him $10 for gas, but I did. However, in a not-so-Christian manner, that I'm not especially proud of, I watched the man for several minute after he left. I saw him make some kind of exchange with another man, I think he may have borrowed a cigarette, but my gut tells me he gave the other man my $10 in exchange for something. I continued to watch as he made his way through the parking lot, wondering if he would confront others--he did not. I'm ashamed to say I was a bit angry and felt I had been taken advantage of. But then it occurred to me that whatever he did with the money it was only $10 and I am both grateful and fortunate to have been able to help. It has always been a struggle for me to know what the right thing to do is in such cases. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. Maybe these times are the perfect opportunity to shoot an "arrow prayer" up to God in hopes that we'll find the answer we're looking for.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home