Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Is America Worshiping an Idol?

Have you been bitten by the American Idol bug? Over 30 million viewers tune into this program every week. It's amazing what some will do to show their support for their favorites.

Some of the contestants have turned out to be Christians. You can read an excellent article to that effect here. They have sung in choirs, been employed by churches and in some cases have actually been worship leaders for their congregations. Check out what this church has done to show their support for a former church employee and member. What are we willing to do when the secular intersects with the spiritual?

Personally, I like to watch the first few episodes of AI. The auditions can be incredibly funny. I can't believe that some of these people don't know they can't sing! The middle episodes are predictable and boring, so I tune out for a few weeks. When they narrow it down to the top 12 I start watching again. It's amazing how good these contestants can get after they have had some vocal, image and performance coaching by experts. The transformation is incredible. It then becomes a true competition with about half of the top 12 having a realistic chance of winning.

I have my favorites at this stage. For the guys, I'm going with the Pillsbury Doughboy (bet you can't tell who that is:) For the gals, I have to throw my hat in the ring for Melinda. There are a couple of other females who are really good, but Melinda, in my mind, is head and shoulders above the rest. On pure talent alone, she should win the competition.

How about you? Do you have any predictions? This stuff can be silly, but fun. I'll write about something "heavier" tomorrow.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home