Saturday, April 07, 2007

Words to Live By

Those of you who know me know that I have a bucketful of one line philosophies of life. Some of these I have garnered from friends, families and other influential people in my life. They are pithy sayings that come to mind depending on the circumstances I find myself in. They disarm anxious moments, or give me a boost of encouragement to plow on. Here are some of my favorites:

"If that's the worst thing that will happen to me today, I'm in pretty good shape."

"Never apologize. Your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you anyway."

"Don't hold a grudge. While you're stewing, they're out dancing."

"Whatever you do, don't forget whom you represent. Jesus, your family and your church."

"No matter how you cook crow, it doesn't taste very good."

"Keep your words sweet, you may have to eat them one day."

"Be a blessing to those you pass on the way up, you may see them again on the way down."

"If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer."

"He who laughs last, didn't get the joke."

"Laugh and the world laughs with you, whine and you whine alone."

"If you err, err on the side of generosity."

"Sometimes I'd rather love somebody than be right."

There are some I've picked up from movies: See if you can figure out which movie this line come from:

"Sometimes there just aren't enough rocks."

Others come from Bible verses or principles:

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

"It is better to give than to receive."

"Neither do I condemn you."

"Wherever your treasure is, there is your heart also."

What one line philosophies do you live by? How do you think you came about being convinced of the truth in the one liner?


Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • My father-in-law has a profound one that's a variation of the original. He puts it like this; "I'd rather be rich and healthy than sick and poor". :)

    td

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:43 PM  

  • One of my favorites is..."Life is never fair...And perhaps it is a good thing for most of us that it is not." ~Oscar Wilde

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:33 PM  

  • I noticed that "Lord, bless him with a brick" was mising from your list. That is one my my old favorites of yours! Naturally, in jest of course!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home