Monday, August 20, 2007

Settling in Jacksonville

Well, we finally made it! We've been here a whole week now and most of our boxes are either unpacked or in storage. It's been an interesting transition going from a 7 room home to a bedroom and shared living/dining room and kitchen. We are living with our son and daughter-in law and it has been delightful. They are a great young couple to accommodate our living with them for the next few months. The weather is hot, but consistent. It is 90 degrees and sunny every day. Thank God for the invention of air conditioning.

Tova has started teaching at Biltmore School. It will be a challenge going from being a kindergarten teacher to a class full of rambunctious fifth graders. She is more than up to it. Tova is incredibly intelligent, works hard and loves teaching. We are proud of her.

Daniel will start working later this week. He will be working at a Barnes and Noble. His experience at Starbucks will come in handy when he works the cafe and his love for books will be put to use when he works the bookstore end of things. He has been a tremendous help in our move and welcoming us into his home.

I put in a few hours at Logos today. I met the entire staff and introduced myself and what I will be bringing to the College and Graduate School. My official title is Dean of Academic Administration. I will be responsible for coordinating, overseeing and developing much of the academic and administrative aspects of the school. I will also teach courses, create courses and develop the internet school. My plate is full, but I'm looking forward to rolling up my sleeves.

Logos is primarily a distance learning school. Although we have established a number of church based institutes worldwide, our training leaders over the internet is our principle endeavor. In the past a student would have to uproot his/herself and family to go to a standard campus based college. Now they can study at home with all kinds of interaction with their professors and work at a pace that suits their schedule. No commuting is necessary. I think it is much better stewardship of time. The next generation will find this a welcome innovation. The older ones will have a traditional mindset that probably won't understand that this can be an excellent way to train for ministry while putting into practice what they are learning directly into their local churches.

I'm believing that this will be my last ministry assignment. I would like to think that I have about 15-20 years of productive ministry left. To spend this time training up the next generation of leaders warms my heart. My thirty years of pastoral ministry and my professional training gives me a great sense of confidence in communicating with future pastors, missionaries and lay leaders.

I hope to settle in to being able to post every couple of days or so. Tune in. And especially let me know that you are by emailing me, or commenting on the posts.


Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • Ah, your back. I just found you again and was sad to have to experience a break in communication already. I've read through many of your blogs and enjoyed them. I will be tuning in and staying connected. I am very glad that I got to spend a little time with you and Grace before you left Illinois. I think that God had a bigger purpose in it than we initially think which is usually the case for me. Usually, after just a moment, my limited thinking mind begins to realize that God is multidimensional and even though I get blessed, it's usually about a blessing that transcends far beyond me.

    I am very excited for you in your new assignment and can't wait to see what all will come out of it. It amazes me that we live in a generation with a global platform to equip saints. How exciting!! And to think that God has positioned you to play such a big role in it (or do you say “on it”?). Wow, you’re like Paul. = )

    By Blogger Loretta, at 5:06 PM  

  • Excellent, Brother. Thanks for the heads up. Welcome to Florida.

    Dave T

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:24 AM  

  • I have had another message from Florida today and yours is awesome. Although I have missed you and Your lovely wife I still cherish the times we were blessed to have together and now i am envious that someone will have both of you now. Family is the greatest although sometimes the smaller the better Dan And Tova are LUCKY!!!! I wish you all the success the Lord has instore for you but still wish you were a holler away......stay in touch...Grace take a look at the ocean for me and tell it how much I miss it...LOve your friend kathy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:07 PM  

  • Pastor,

    Great that you and Pastor Grace are settling in. GOD'S blessings
    at logos. Keeping you both in my prayers.

    L. Rubin

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:50 AM  

  • Wonderful to hear your update! May God bless you and Grace as you enjoy this next journey.

    T.McDaniel

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:43 PM  

  • Pastor,
    Congratulations at reaching your new stomping grounds. I pray that you have great joy in the Journey, and that your students are motivated and responsive! I am glad I read the blogs of your new adventure. It helps to picture how you are spending your days.
    May God's glory be seen in your work. Our family thinks of you often and thanks God for your heart for the Word.
    Love, The Langs

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home