Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Long-winded Preachers

We've all had nightmares of being stuck in a church service where the preacher started his message and proceeded to cover everything from Genesis to Revelation with a couple of visits to the the apocrypha and pseudipigrapha to boot. Help!

Well this preacher couldn't stop himself from communicating everything that came to his head so he started writing it down. 3.5 million words later, he is still going!

I'm a preacher. I am sure that there have been times when I wore my audience out. Not every message can be a barn burner. But this has to rank as the ultimate extreme.

I often wonder what goes through the mind of a listener when the message goes long. What has gone through your head? Do you daydream about your consummate vacation? Are you planning your work week? Maybe you won't want to say. But the next time I'm accused of speaking too long, I am going to refer my critics to this guy and tell them to thank God they weren't a part of his congregation. :)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • Pastor, I've never heard one of your sermons where I thought, "When will this guy stop!" I still miss them!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:16 AM  

  • I'd give 10 of my pastor's sermons to hear one of your's again.
    jmil

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home