Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A Pastor's Prayer

My last post was an exhortation for you, my readers, to pray for your pastors. I can't make a better case than the one that was made by the link on that post.

This time I want to share with you the flip side. For thirty years I labored in the pastoral ministry. There were so many times that I felt totally inadequate. If it wasn't for my faithful friends who prayed for me and God's grace, I am sure I would have either quit, or at the very least not enjoyed ministry quite as much as I did.

Every week I was expected to speak a word from the Lord to the congregation. Sometimes I would have to deliver 2 or 3 different messages from the Word of God. There never seemed enough time in any given week with counseling, visitation, phone calls, meetings, organizing, and planning for prayer and preparation. There were times when I would pray a simple prayer of faith and launch out to do what God had called me to do, preach and teach the Gospel.

The following prayer reflects much of what was in my heart during most of the years I served as a pastor. Although I was never so eloquent, this prayer hits the nail on the head. For those of who are pastors, I'm pretty sure you'll agree with the sentiments expressed. For those of you who are church members and attenders, this will give you a glimpse of a typical pastors heart.

A hat tip to Justin Taylor's blog for posting this first:

The following is a prayer for those who preach, adapted from The Valley of Vision:

My Master God,
I am expected to preach today,
but go weak and needy to my task;
Yet I long that people will be edified with divine truth,
that an honest testimony will be given for you.
Give me assistance in preaching and prayer,
with heart uplifted for grace and passion.
Present to my view things pertinent to my subject,
will fullness of matter and clarity of thought,
proper expressions, fluency, fervency,
a deep emotion to accompany the words I speak,
and grace to apply them to people’s consciences.
Keep me conscious all the while of my defects,
and let me not gloat in pride over my performance.
Help me to offer a testimony for yourself,
and to leave sinners inexcusable in neglecting your mercy.
Give me freedom to open up the sorrows of your people,
and to set before them comforting consolations.
Give your power to the truth preached,
and awaken the attention of my slothful audience.
May your people be refreshed, melted, convicted, comforted,
and help me to use the strongest arguments
drawn from Christ’s incarnation and sufferings,
that people might be made holy.
I myself need your support, comfort, strength, holiness,
that I might be a pure channel of your grace,
and be able to do something for you.
Give me then refreshment among your people,
and help me not to treat excellent matter in a defective way,
or bear a broken testimony to so worthy a redeemer,
or be harsh in treating Christ’s death, its design and end,
from lack of warmth and fervency.
And keep me in tune with you as I do this work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home