Monday, April 07, 2008

Pray for Your Pastor

Well, it's been about six weeks since I last posted. There were two reasons. One, I wanted to give full attention to my 11 part testimony and didn't want it to get lost amidst new posts. This is a significant milestone in my life so I let it linger for awhile. Second, I want to start a consistent routine of posting once per week on something meaty, instead of just odds and ends that were interesting.

For those of you who contacted me via phone, card or email about my journey, thanks for your support. A couple of you mentioned that you felt it helped you understand me better. A couple of you wondered if I had left the world of "Pentecostalism." I'm happy to report that I am as "pentecostal" as I have ever been. It is no longer a denominational, or traditional moniker. It does not refer to my theological underpinnings. It is a description of my experiences as a follower of Jesus Christ. Being "full-gospel, charismatic, and pentecostal have never meant as much to me as it does now, but there is a whole new dimension in Christ to complement that experience. It's an exciting time for the Riveras.

I'll try to post something at least weekly now, although I fully expect that my schedule will get very busy as I embark on a wonderful new project. I'll let you know about it in weekly installments, but suffice it for now to say that it involves the passion of my heart. I will be actively involved in training people for ministry, many of whom will be church planters. I will be doing it in partnership with Logos Christian College and the Communion of Convergence Churches. More details to follow.

And now, on to today's post. Pray for your pastor. Serving as a pastor for 30 years, I came to appreciate those in our congregation who reminded me from time to time that they were praying for me. Some were praying for me because they were painfully aware of my weaknesses. Others prayed for me because they recognized my calling and gifts and wanted the Lord to bless me. Some prayed for my family, my finances, my health, my vision, my relationships and my sanity. I leaned on those people, especially when the load got heavy, when I got distracted, or when the frustrations of life got the best of me. Thank God for those who prayed for this weak earthen vessel.

The link above is a great little prayer list for your pastor. I have been on the "pew" side now for about 10 months. With each passing Sunday, I am more aware than ever of the necessity of praying for the leaders of our church. We have a great pastor and staff. It is a joy to sit under their ministry. I want my pastors to be healthy, and wise. I want them to have many more years of fruitful ministry. I want them to lead us into God's presence in worship, preach with anointing and counsel with compassion. I want them to dream big dreams and to have God provide them with the resources and people that will make those dreams for the kingdom to come to pass.

I want to be as faithful in praying for our pastor as those who prayed for me when I was their pastor. So I encourage and challenge you. Pray for your pastor.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • Good to read your "thoughtful " comments...as always. Hope to get down to Jacksonville soon...wish I could be there to see Benjamin!!

    By Blogger jnthnmoore, at 12:23 PM  

  • I'm praying that God will give you a place back at the pulpit, because that's where you belong.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:16 AM  

  • Communion of Convergence Churches are very much into teaching Apostolic succession. If this is a true teaching, what line of succession has brought us to this time in history? Perhaps you can address this in a future posting.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:21 PM  

  • Anonymous you stated that the "Communion of Convegence Churches are very much into teaching Apostolic succession."

    Actually apostolic succession is a very minor theological point in convergence churches.

    It is on the order of whether a believer should be dunked or sprinkled in baptism, whether communion should be every Sunday or less frequently.

    The short answer about apostolic succession is that many orthodox churches believe that there is a validity bestowed on ordination when the ordination is being conducted by someone who has been recognized by a line of predecessors that can be linked historically back to the time of the apostles.

    The validity is of the office itself, not the individual. In other words, it recognizes the calling as being valid as the responsibilities of the ordinands office is being conducted according to apostolic teaching.

    By Blogger metanoia, at 7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home