Tuesday, February 10, 2009

You shall know the truth . . .

As a student of theology, the search for truth is my highest priority. Jesus said that, "you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." Freedom and truth go hand in hand.

I love debate, but not just for debate's sake. Hearing an opposing argument causes me to define my perspective, refine my reasons and take into account that I may not have a corner on a particular truth.

One of my favorite columnists is Thomas Sowell. This guy knows how to frame an argument! He tackles the misconception of conclusions that are accepted as facts without proper discussion and debate.

Our universities have become institutions of propaganda to the extent that any voice that does not agree with the party line is figuratively and often literally shouted down. Once a stance has been taken on an issue, the debate is declared over. But I am reminded of Solomon's proverb, "The first to present his case seems right, tillanother comes forward and questions him."

There is wisdom is hearing both and all sides of a debatable issue. For only then can truth finally be discerned and freedom enjoyed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home