Sunday, July 20, 2008

What School Do You Go To?

Well, I did it again. I went walking yesterday morning and this time I was wearing my trusty Notre Dame baseball cap and a Duke University t-shirt. A weird combination I'd say. I have a number of college t-shirts. I own one from Harvard, Yale, Michigan, Air Force and of course Duke. You'll notice that there are no party schools there. Only bonafide strong academic institutions.

I haven't attended any of those fine institutions. I thought about why I wanted to own such t-shirts. Could it be that I have an inward inferiority complex and want to be associated with Ivy League or upper echelon universities? Am I trying to impress others by making them believe that I fit in with that group? After some soul-searching I concluded that I probably qualify to belong to Densa and not Mensa. It wasn't anything like that at all. I'm just cheap. I got the shirts at Steve and Barry's. A great place to get a quality t-shirt for $3.99. The hat set me back $6!

As is my nature, I look for a spiritual illustration in just about everything I read, eat and experience. You'd be surprised what you will learn if you are observant. One of my favorite theologians (Hall of famer, Yogi Berra) says that "you can see a lot things by just observing." :)

An interesting phenomenon has been noted by scholars who follow and report on such things, that the average church going American claims to have 3 church homes. I've heard of people having a home of residence and a summer home, but owning three homes, in most circumstances, seems odd to me. Christians are claiming one church for the preaching ministry, one for the music ministry and one for the youth or children's ministry. To some degree I can understand where they may feel a sense of wanting a "full-service" Christianity. But it is rare to find quality in all levels of a church ministry in one church.

Maybe we want bragging rights within our circle of friends. We want to claim the best that each of these churches have to offer. It gives a perception to others that we have it together. But in reality, are we just attending multiple churches to impress others, or is it because we are cheap? We can get a great worship, teaching and youth experience without having to pay full price. What about taking into consideration that God may want you to actually do something about strengthening the youth, or music ministry in only one church?


We may be able to get away with that with t-shirts and ball caps, but what is it costing us to practice our faith in this manner? We have a consumer culture and we are practicing it in our church life. Our churches are mirroring our culture. The bottom line is that I'm not committed to Duke, or Harvard, or Yale. But the college I attended prepared me for life and service unto the glory of God. I may not have one of their t-shirts, but even if I did, all I'd do is get it sweaty anyway.

4 Comments:

  • Being an individual who wears shirts of different schools that he didn't attend is one thing, even wearing a Notre Dame could cause a strained relationship. But admitting that you have a Michigan shirt is tantamount to treason, at least in my mind. You see I am a devout Ohio State fan and you being of deep sports thought know what a rivalry it is! The finest on in all the land. And to have someone of your stature and maturity, your thought and spirituality admit to owing a Michigan Tee shakes me to my core. How am I to go to lunch with you again, knowing that if I turn my head for just a moment, you could poison my next bite of crab cake, thus reliving Big Blue of a hated enemy! Suppose a fellow Buckeye sees me in fellowship with one such as yourself. Why it could put my membership in the Buckeye Nation in peril! O the disasters that arise from the blogging world! Woe is me!
    Having said that, the closest Steve and Barry's is 1.5 hours north of Jax in Brunswick, GA. Maybe a run north of the border might be in order to obtain new running apparel. Last year a bought a killer leather Ohio State coat for just $6.99. I have yet to wear it. It's so stinking hot here in Jax. But it looks great in my closet! Maybe next year. Until then, I shall sleep with one eye open.

    Your friend,
    Traveler

    By Blogger Traveler, at 5:27 PM  

  • Yogi Berra is a Yankee, so you should start rooting for them again! :)

    Oh, and it's so nice of you to befriend a misguided Ohioian. Hopefully in your presence he (she) will repent of his ways and see the light! Go BLUE!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:52 AM  

  • Steve and Barry's just filed for bankruptcy 7/9. Maybe if you would've spent a little more on those T-shirts, they'd stick around a little longer. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:25 PM  

  • We use the term 'culture creep' around here quite a bit. How much of the world's consumer mentality has crept into us and consequently the Church?

    Once again, great observation Pastor.

    By Blogger Pastor Shannon, at 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home