Thursday, May 22, 2008

On Being a Good Church Member Part 5: The Altar Call

When I was in pastoral ministry I loved to spend time at the altars praying with people. Sometimes it was for healing. Other times it was for support during a trial. The best part was during the times I made an appeal for people to join me at the altar if they wanted to make a first time commitment to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. There is nothing like praying for someone to be given the assurance that they can claim their place in the family of God by repenting of their sins and accepting the forgiveness offered by God through Christ.

It is during this most important part of the service when I would ask the members of the congregation to pray along with me as the Holy Spirit would do his work convicting and persuading those in the congregation to make their decision. But one thing always puzzled me. Why did so many seem to think that this time of the service was the time to make their preparations to leave?

I would see people gathering their belongings or slip away to get their children from kids church. Some would even head out the door to get a head start to the restaurant they would dine in after the service. I made it a point to always remind people of the importance of this time and the need for their support in prayer. I would plead with them not to become a distraction to someone who may be at the point of making the most important decision of their lives. Many would comply, but some would ignore the appeal. It left me wondering why?

We are privileged to be served by pastors who have a passion for the lost. At every single service they give people who don't know Jesus an opportunity to respond to His saving grace. I find myself thinking of all those times I pleaded for lost souls to respond to God's Holy Spirit. It is during this time that I bow my head and pray fervently for those in our congregation who have not made the decision yet. This may be the only chance they will get to make their decision because we are not promised one more breath. Something, anything can happen that will take away that chance from them and I don't want this opportunity wasted.

I hope to influence my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ to be witnesses where they live, work and play. I also want them to support each other by praying for the lost in their families, their workplaces and yes, even in their churches. But I also want them to join with others to pray during the altar call. Souls hang in the balance and this part of the service can be instrumental in tipping that balance in the Lord's favor.

1 Comments:

  • buy facebook likes
    get facebook likes

    http://ndn.org/blog/2011/03/invite-april-1st-webcast-dhs-sec-napolitano-distinguished-panel-discuss-21st-century-bo http://drupalsn.com/learn-drupal/drupal-tutorials/converting-drupal-themes-drupal-6-drupal-7-my-favourite-additions-chan
    buy facebook likes get facebook likes facebook likes
    is this a virus attack. what should i do now?

    facebook likes 1000 facebook likes [url=http://1000fbfans.info]buy facebook likes [/url] get facebook likes

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home