Saturday, April 07, 2007

Good Friday Observance

Last night we had our Good Friday service. I love Good Friday. Although it is somewhat somber and even morose, it reminds me of the price Jesus paid to reconcile us to God.

Our choir and drama people put on a good reenactment. They had a narrator who recited the passages of Scripture that corresponded to the drama that was unfolding on stage. The choir would then kick in with an appropriate song to hammer home the significance of the event. It flowed very well.

As I sat in the darkness watching the presentation, my mind went to my days before I came to know Christ as my Savior. I really didn't know the extent of my sinful ways and how God was offended by my behavior, attitudes and lifestyle. I thought I was doing the best I could to live a decent life. I felt a sense of uneasiness in my life, but I just doubled my efforts to try to be good. Satisfaction failed me.

When I came face to face with the Gospel story, it explained it all to me. The uneasiness that I felt was my alienation from God. I could never be good enough to satisfy God. That's why Jesus paid the price. He took the beating I deserved. He shed the blood I should have shed. Because he was without sin, God was satisfied. Because God was satisfied He extended His grace to all who would receive it. I relived my experience of God's grace last night. My heart was broken that Jesus had to pay the price, but my spirit rejoiced in salvation so richly offered.

I want to extend my thanks to our worship, music and arts director, the drama coordinator, the members of the choir, the soloists, narrator, and all of the wonderful cast who made this another incredibly memorable Good Friday.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • The choir and drama did a great job. I especially appreciated the instrumentalists on Sunday morning. Everyone did a wonderful job. It was great to see new faces participating this year. Thank you for making Resurrection Weekend a meaningful time of reflection and celebration.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home