Monday, October 23, 2006

Transparency from Behind the Pulpit

In the past few years, many pastors have chosen to bare their souls from behind the pulpit. Prior to this development, the clergy kept their personal lives out of the public square. All of the efforts to communicate the gospel were spent on interpreting scripture and finding relevant illustrations by which to encourage the congregation to make application in their lives. In an effort to connect with the congregation, some pastors began to share personal struggles, concerns and issue. For the most part this has been well received, although there are some congregants who prefer that ministers keep their personal lives to themselves.

How do you feel about this issue? Do you agree, or disagree with ministers sharing their private matters from a pulpit? What would you like to know about your pastor and what venue would you like to find this information out?

1 Comments:

  • I believe that my Pastor has the right to preach to me, and to teach me, and to tell me how to live, and to step on my toes and to say things to me that only a friend could say. Because I think a true Christian should go to church to be changed and to be fed and to be improved. And that's the way I interact with my friends. So when I go to church, I like to think I know the Pastor like a friend... and I know an awful lot about my friends. So I think it is natural for friends to exchange a certain amount of tid bits about their personal lives. True, there are a few details about my life that I share only with one or two of my closest friends, and my Pastor is entitled to that same privacy, but I don't see any reason for a Pastor to treat the congregation like students or visitors who will be moving on after one visit.
    If I want to know something about one of my friends, I ask them. If I want to know something about my Pastor, I will ask him after service or via e-mail. If my question crosses the line of privacy... he can tell me so.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home