Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Keys to Successful Relationships

I'm afraid of Oprah, yet I like Oprah. I believe she is sincere in offering all of her advice and help. What scares me is that she has so much influence over so many people. Anyone with that kind of influence should be respected and feared.

The latest issue of Oprah carries an article about conventional wisdom regarding relationships and the new rules that threaten to stand that wisdom on its head. Much of this conventional wisdom is held by many as papal edict. It is unchallengeable. Or is it?

After reading some of the new rules, I have to agree with many of the points made. As an example. Men don't like it when women try to change them. As a pastor, I have counseled many couples and have made note of the resentment that grows in men as their wives make demands. Women call it constructive criticism, men call it nagging. Often the demands are very constructive and should be made by the men. The difference in the old rules versus the new rules is that women should seek change in smaller bite-sized increments. Those in the study that did were much more effective in the long run.

If the old adage is true, that "men marry women believing they won't change and women marry men believing they will change," then the concept of change is a potential war zone. How do you traverse this battlefield and survive?

There is much good advice in this article. There are biblical principles disguised as social work and psychological research. I try to get all of my life changing advice from the Bible. The truth is that many people don't read the Bible and a lot of believers don't read it either. Read this article and make a note at the biblical principles it teaches. Then ask yourself, will I get my life lessons from God or Oprah. But then again, to many Oprah is God :)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home