Thursday, November 29, 2007

Feeding the Poor and Speaking Eloquently

When I was younger I was fascinated by language. I love words. One of the reasons my vocabulary was enlarged is because I had a fifth grade teacher who didn't believe in suspensions or writing sentences for bad behavior. Whenever one of her students was busted she would have us sit out our recess time by pulling out a big dictionary, turning to a page and telling us to write the words and their definitions as our punishment. Needless to say I learned a lot of new words during the fifth grade!

When I became a Christian, one of the mandates of Jesus that truly challenged me was his command to minister to the poor as often as I had the chance and means. I take that directive seriously. Now I have found a way to kill two birds with one stone. I was directed to a great little website, www.freerice.com that allows you to build your vocabulary while at the same time donating rice to feed the poor. In about ten minutes of having fun while learning new words I was able to contribute the equivalent of about two pounds of rice. I plan on spending my coffee breaks at this site for the next few days.

Give the site a visit. Learn a few new words and warm your heart knowing that you have fed a few hungry children effortlessly.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home