Sunday, January 21, 2007

Sometimes We Doubt our Faith

"I have of late received e-mails from some who are facing severe doubts about their life and about the Christian faith, and I have no capacity here to dissolve doubts by cooking them dry on some apologetic stove — by and large I don’t think doubts are dissolved so much as they are, by faith, put on our shoulders to be carried along with us. In other words, I think doubt and faith are not opposites; faith sometimes is what demonstrates doubt. Or, faith sometimes demonstrates doubt."

What do you say about this quote?

HT: Scot McNight, Jesus Creed

1 Comments:

  • Interesting. If we have faith in something we can't see, then we see it later, does that destroy our faith? If I say, Pastor, I have $20 for you in my hand and all you have to do is open it, do you have faith there's a $20 there or do you doubt it? In this case they seem opposites. But, if you say, yes, you have the $20, and I open up my hand and there is a $20, well, it isn't faith anymore cause you can see and touch it. In this case, doubt is not the opposite. Interesting indeed.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home