Thursday, October 04, 2007

GO CUBS!

Rick Moran, over at the American Thinker, has written a nice piece about the interminably optimistic (or maybe futilistic) Cubs fans. Can you believe it! It's October and the Cubs are still playing baseball.

I love baseball. I'll watch the Toledo Mudhens play against the Brimingham Barons if that's the only game on. I grew up using a baseball mitt as a pillow at night and rising as early as my parents would let me to go play baseball, in an alley, a vacant lot, or sometimes even in an actual league with uniforms.

I was there when the Cubs blew it in 1969. I mean literally. My dad was a security guard and he was allowed 2 free passes for each game. I must have taken in 50 games that wonderful and yet dark summer. While everybody makes a case for how the Cubs blew the lead losing 17 of 25 games in September, sometimes what is forgotten was how the Mets went 21 and 10 in August and 23 and 7 in September, the stretch that overtook the Cubs. While some people take pleasure in bashing the Cubs, I make excuses for them.

Call them lovable losers, or just plain losers, but any player that has every worn the uniform and played in a packed house, even when the team is hopelessly out of the race, can tell you that there is no place like Wrigley Field, and no fans like Cubs fans.

It was exciting when the White Sox won the World Series in 2005. Cubs fans watched in wonder at the parades and accolades given to the Southsiders. Can you imagine what would happen in the city of Chicago if the Cubs won the big games? It's gonna happen, you watch. Either this year . . . or next year.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • Once the cubs stop making excuses, maybe, just maybe they'll win. Even after their game one loss, they're making excuses! Just play the game boys. I heard that a goat named Bartman was just born at Lincoln Park zoo. Let's hope he doesn't escape! Go SOX!(Next Year)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home