Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Persecution and the American Church

There are times when I wonder how my faith would hold up if I lived in a land where religious freedom was not guaranteed. I get annoyed at the idea that kids are being sent home from school for wearing a witnessing t-shirt, or that creationism isn't allowed to be taught alongside of evolution. What would happen if I lived in a place where my door would be kicked down in the middle of the night and I would be dragged out to an undisclosed location to be tortured for my faith.
This blog article kind of put it in perspective for me. I would like to believe that I would be faithful, but my pampering as an American Christian would probably never be put to a real test.
Have you considered what you would do if you lived in a closed country? Would you be able to tolerate persecution, and torture for the cause of Christ? How often do you think of your brothers and sisters in the faith in other countries who don't experience religious freedom?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • We American Christians often don't live out the faith we profess. We disregard and disobey scripture almost constantly. If we were in a country where we were persecuted for obedience to Christ, maybe it would help to put things in perspective, or maybe we would lose any remaining incentive to follow Christ. Obedience and the call to follow are the same regardless of the circumstances in which we find ourselves. Having said all that, just look at Matthew 19:24.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:43 PM  

  • I sometimes wonder if our freedom of religion contributes to our callousness and lack of fervor as Christians. No urgency. It's free. What value does it have? We take our faith and God for granted. When someone tells us “you can't follow Christ or you'll die", are we then able to see it’s great value better? Maybe if it’s something that we can’t easily have, or are threatened to have taken away, we’ll find that it’s worth dying for. Just wondering.

    By Blogger Loretta, at 11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home